Wednesday, January 25, 2017
In 2016, the Government signalled its commitment to economic growth and job creation with the establishment of a dedicated Ministry for Economic Growth and Job Creation, headed by the Prime Minister. An Economic Growth Council was also established to advise the Government on policies and reforms to facilitate sustained economic growth.
The Economic Growth Council aims to mobilize the country around the goal of achieving 5% annual GDP growth in four years (“5 in 4”). The education and training system has a critical role to play in developing the workforce that will fuel productivity and self-sustaining and job-creating growth towards achieving the “five in four” and improve its international competitiveness. The education and training system must align and orient their core activities with the requirements of the markets they serve if they are to sustain their economic viability and operating relevance.
This event will bring together key stakeholders in the education and training system as the building of human capital is one of the eight growth initiatives outlined by the Economic Growth Council. The discussions will be organised around a coordinated and sustainable approach to workforce development towards:
- Aligning educational and training programmes labour market information and intelligence.
- A more deliberate approach to career guidance to inform educational and career choices that are aligned to current and foreseen labour market opportunities.
- Creating a national repository of education and training information (numbers trained and certified, skills level, etc.).
- Ensuring educational financing (loans, scholarships and grants) to support labour market driven programmes aligned to the economic development and growth agenda.
- Increasing access to training and certification especially in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- Upgrading and expanding work based learning and apprenticeship programmes.
- Developing strategies to increase patenting, research and development, to support indigenous innovators, inventors and entrepreneurs.
- Establishing a comprehensive and integrated training and capacity development programme for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises.
- Development of a National Training Strategy.
The dialogue will contribute to a common understanding of the role of the education and training system in achieving the “five in four” economic growth objective.